Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 10: Two in One


Today we had to wake up at 8:00 but no lecture was scheduled. Instead we had the pleasure of attending two company visits in one day, HELA and Centauros. Of course I tried to sleep in as long as possible and was late for breakfast, so my breakfast consisted of yogurt, which I took the spoon on the bus with me, and I took two apples to try to hold me over...did not work. We arrived at the first company which was HELA, which is a tool producing company. Their specialty is mainly brush making, like household brushes. But let me just say, no disrespect to the people who work there, the job look pretty tedious and boring. I'm not an assembly line kind of person I guess. But anyway we arrived and of course had to wear our sexy steel toed boots, protective googles and ear plugs. Sadly we didn't get to keep the stylish safety googles but we did get the cheap ear plugs. I will be using those on the plane. The assembly process was interesting and to my surprise a lot of women work there. WHOO GO WOMEN GETTING OUR HANDS DIRTY!

Assembly of the brushes

After our exciting visit to HELA, it was off to Centauros, which was a canning company. This company was a good hour away from the other one so we all got to take a solid nap and I needed it. So we arrived and it was a gorgeous day and we pulled up to the same of fruit being mashed, turns out they were making pumpkin paste, which I found extremely interesting. We went into a small sampling room where we learned about their family owned business and actually got to try their product. We sampled canned peaches, canned tomatoes and their famous tomato paste. I'm not a fan of tomatoes but it was all excellent, especially the paste it tasted like it belonged right on some pizza. Well then toured the factory and it was really cool to see how they made the paste and we actually tried some of their pumpkin paste, not my favorite but still interesting. Again we got awesome outfits, some hairnets this time. We all look so good of course.
                                                             










After our company visit it was off to lunch, and thank goodness because I was starving. So of course just guess where we went..EMAPANADAS!! This place was different and these were huge. It was good and filled me up because we needed our energy because we had a dance class but this time was very different. It was called Cueca which is the national dance of Chile. Let me just tell you it was so cool to watch but so hard to learn. There was a lot of multi tasking with a handkerchief and lots of steps but after a few times I think I accomplished it. But once we had to do it with a partner that was an issue. But again after a few tries we got it. Our teachers were so good so I don't think I could ever be as a good as them. We are now all back at the hotel super exhausted but excited for tomorrow because it is a free morning. YAY! Time to sleep in.

 My cueca partner

No comments:

Post a Comment